Wednesday 13 September 2017

On The Radar : Yungblud



When you’re greatest city exports are Leslie Garrett, Louis Tomlinson and Kevin Keegan what aspirations in life do you have? Well, earlier this week my first comment after hearing ‘King Charles’ by Yungblud was “Stop the world I want to get off” but the track stuck and I went back to it days later and I’m still listening.

You’d be mistaken to think that from the opening of ‘King Charles’ could be the vocals of YouTube star Devo, but don’t get confused because it’s actually 19 year old Dominic Harrison from Doncaster. Now I’m not going to tell you that I’m well in touch with the youth of today as I’m pushing 30 but the vocal aggression and downright honesty of the lyrics in this track is straight fire, talking of the ongoing troubles with youngsters today and their feelings and thoughts on the world. With musical heritage coming from a granddad in T-Rex, Harrison is clearly steeped in talent with a sound that is handpicked from early Jamie T, second album Arctic Monkeys and the catchy riffs of Kasabian.

Yungblud have that polished feel, maybe so much so that it’s already gone too commercial but they are having a good punt at it...What more can I say? Have a listen and make up your own minds.


No comments:

Post a Comment