Tuesday 9 June 2020

On The Radar : The Mysterines



88 days to print that we went into lockdown as a country and maybe about 6 or so months later from my discovery, The Mysterines have released another single into the wild and it’s a banger! Shame on me for not writing about them when I heard their debut EP ‘Take Control’ way back when, but I’m not one to be looking into the past in the current climate, more to a positive future and the release of ‘I Win Everytime’. 

A little background on The Mysterines...Female fronted, Liverpool based gritty rock band who fall somewhere between The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Them Crooked Vultures and the lyrical stylings of Nick Cave, Karen O and observational skills akin to a certain Alex Turner. ‘Take Control’ pulled me in the first time round because I felt my ears twang to the sound of a female vocal I felt I’d heard before, was that Kate Jackson of The Long Blondes fame under a different guise...Surely not...A google later and I found it to be Lia Metcalfe, front woman and force behind The Mysterines. 

To the point and subject of the blogpost, track ‘I Win Everytime’ is 3 minutes of a whirling undulating ruckus built on hooking basslines and memorable lyrical pairings that’ll be perpetual to the mind. The moody acrimonious slurring vocal is neoteric while latched to those likened in style only, ‘I Win Everytime’ is by no means a slow burner as it bombards it’s way through verse and chorus, it is the current and it is the future. 

88 days to print that we went into lockdown and how many more weeks until we are back in our most loved music venues, one thing is for certain is that the future isn’t bleak on the British music scene with bands like The Mysterines at the helm.


No comments:

Post a Comment