Thursday 31 May 2012

Re-Issues : The Crimea - Lottery Winners On Acid EP




Last week a band that I got hooked on at the tender age of 16 hit the 10 year mark, the other band I saw that night are in their 20th year. The Crimea supported Ash way back coinciding with the release of ‘Meltdown’. 2 amazing bands reaching major milestones in their musical careers.

This re-issue comes in the form of ‘Lottery Winners On Acid’, An EP I brought second hand from Amazon at the age of 16, one of my first pay packs funded the buy, a buy that I listened to so much that it no longer plays.

Fronted by Davey MacManus (brother of Radio 1 DJ Annie Mac, who supplies backing vocals on some tracks) The Crimea have released 2 other albums after this EP. ‘Tragedy Rocks’ with major label Warner and free release ‘Secrets Of The Witching Hour’.

Lottery Winners On Acid’ includes the titled track alongside opener ’White Russian Galaxy’, a extravagant venerate of desperation composed to music. As you can imagine at 16-17 playing this to anybody I would get awkward looks, The Crimea were certainly out of the ordinary which attracted them to the likes of the late great John Peel.

Other tracks on the EP are psychedelic observant ’Baby Boom’, the aptly named ’Bombay Sapphire Coma’ of which I had no clue about what gin was and finale ’Opposite Ends’ abrogating a break up or begging for the old flame to be re-lit, you choose.

At 16 parts of me could relate, parts of me did not have a clue. The knowing of what Bombay sapphire was left me clearly naïve to the world around me and of what was to come, but 10 years on the songs sound so fresh and I can listen to the EP from start to finish over and over.

(Honourable mention goes to the ever so addictive ‘Girl Just Died’ which is available on ‘Tragedy Rocks')

No comments:

Post a Comment