Thursday 17 May 2012

Re-Issues : Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP





Re-Issue number 2, coming to you all in the form of Eminem with ‘The Marshall Mathers LP’.

I remember quite clearly that this was another copied CD that I was given, I also remember having a 2ft poster of the cover art right in front of you in my then bedroom. I wouldn't say I was ever over exposed to hip-hop or rap, I would say that Madness was probably the closest it came. This album becoming my first ever foray into hip-hop.

Everybody remembers hearing ‘The Real Slim Shady’ and the video that came with it, the controversy that it caused and the outrage of parents worldwide. I wouldn’t say it was the track that hooked me on the album, ‘Stan’ which features a vocal sample from Dido was. The relationship between artist and fan clearly written in word and music, the deep bond that music can create is highlighted from start to finish in separate verse. The complete darkness of the whole track which feels exactly the same even now.

For me the album was an escape, an angst ridden album which understood how I felt even if I was completely wrong. It was more about Eminem and his escape, how he felt and how he felt he wasn’t understood. This album launched him to exactly where he wanted to be. Probably his best album to date.

Other highlights for me are ‘Kim’, a song that scared me so much after I heard it the first time I had to skip for a few weeks after, but now I clearly understand why it was written. The obvious ‘The Real Slim Shady’ which is hilarious but equally serious and ‘The Kidz’ a laugh out loud approach to everything that is bad for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment